I suspect that it has to do with the file type chosen when the file was
originally linked. In 7.5, there were buttons for Picture, Video, Sound, and
Document. In 8.0, the same process is there, it’s just a drop down menu.
Unfortunately, once chosen I see no way of re-displaying what you selected
except an Access query.

I was able to create the unsupported file type error in 8.0 when adding a media
item to an individual (wouldn’t even let me add it) if I selected ‘Picture’ as
the file type and then tried to link to a doc or docx file. Perhaps your files
were added as ‘pictures’ and 7.5 didn’t care about the discrepancy, but 8.0
does.

That would also explain current behaviour. Some of the existing links may very
well have been added as Documents originally and they work just fine, and
presumably when you relink the problem media, you also select the proper file
type.

Paul Gray