Cathy, Mike & Ron

Perhaps I should explain why I use the Master Lists Cleanup prior to doing
a check and repair (but always a backup before and after). But of course,
if one doesn't notice a 'mishap' until several days after it has happened,
a previous backup is not much use, especially when families are being added
to the db every day). I've been using Legacy since 'day 1' and have never
had this problem with the Cleanup list.

Our data base used to be held on several dos based Pedigree (some of you
will know just how far back that goes!)  We started using Legacy about 2002
and all of the Pedigree files had to be transferred and merged. Up until
then, several different people had been entering families - that was a
recipe for disaster.  Some folk wrote Nova Scotia, some wrote NS, some
wrote NS;.  This style applied to many locations - merging and correcting
was a very time consuming job, and in fact is still going on.  As well as
that problem, burials had been written as (e.g.) Helensville,
HelensvilleCemetery,
Helensville Cemetery RSA, Glorit Cem, Helensville Cem., Hellensvile, etc.
etc.  With a 90,000+ data base, it is very important to be able list the
locations, or find a location immediately rather than have to spend time
searching through lots of place names (many with an ethnic origin that no
longer exist) that may or may not have included Helensville.  That is just
an example of place names - over the years, I have changed the locations
(using Helensville as an example) to Helensville, Auckland, NZ and put the
name of the cemetery in the Burial notes - makes for a much tidier and more
efficient Locations index list.  (I seem to remember a discussion about
this very thing a few weeks back).  Whatever one does, there must be some
sort of conformity.

I believe it is important to "think ahead" and hopefully, make it straight
forward for whoever may follow me in keeping the database up to date and
easy to find a location.

These days, we have one person only entering.

I hope you can see my reasoning in using the Master Lists Cleanup function,
and I hope I've explained it logically.  As said - I have never had this
problem previously, but I will *not* be using it again, which means that
over time, I will end up with a lot of unwanted location areas, full stops,
commas, abbreviations that should be in full, spelling errors, etc. etc.

Thanks for your responses.

Anne

--
Anne PICKETTS