 From: Cathy Pinner <genea...@gmail.com>
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2014 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] "Right" way to add essays or excerpts from others to
Family File

Ron,
I don't think Paula is saying that Events don't matter.

She's saying that it doesn't really matter what they are called. What
you call an event depends on how many events of a similar nature you
expect to have and how you may want to search on it later.

Paula, I think the advantage of adding the excerpt to an event rather
than General notes is that it can be dated and placed in
chronological sequence.

I prefer to keep General Notes to an overall summary of someone's
life that theoretically is better constructed than a collection of
bits and pieces. If I have a good obituary and nothing else, I'll put
that in General Notes and make my Obituary Event for that person
Private or exclude the notes so that it doesn't appear twice in reports.

Cathy

At 07:34 AM 21/04/2014, you wrote:
>Paula,
>
>I am sorry but I cannot agree. The Events tell the stories of
>individuals and families from which their history is derived.
>
>Without this, in my view, one is merely a collector of names and dates.
>
>Ron Ferguson
>http://www.fergys.co.uk/
>GOONS #5307
>
>Paula Ryburn <paula.ryb...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>Truthfully, though, what we call an event doesn't really matter
>because it only shows up depending on how you choose to format
>events in your reports, right?  For example, I've decided for my
>"one off" events, I have an Event called "Other" that has a generic
>set of sentence structures, so I can enter whatever I want in
>whichever fields I have information.  The only real consideration
>for having lots of different Events is to be able to search on
>them.  (Like, the "Census" event, which you have to use if you want
>Legacy's census search feature to work... instead of using Residence.)

<snip>