From: David Cripps [mailto:cri...@netspace.net.au]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2014 7:19 PM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Dropbox / Legacy problem

  Hello Cathy,

 > Bob,
>
> Don't you use the Legacy backup routine? No problem with overwriting
> it if you set it to include the date and time in the name of the
> backup zip file - which I think is the default these days.
> I really don't understand why you'd even think about making code yourself.
> Legacy reminds you to backup on exit if you haven't turned it off.
> And any time while working you feel you need a backup, File - Backup does the
> job.
> A manual backup, unless you're either only backing up the fdb file or
> backing up the whole data folder is far more complex.
> Of course you also need to learn how to restore the backup file and
> know that you can restore without overwriting your current family file
> by giving the restored file a new name.

I think Cathy you're slightly confused by our discussion direction, or perhaps
the one I hijacked from Ron in the first place.

Bob  and  I  were discussing the merits of running our data files from the
cloud or another non-cloud folder on your desktop & Mike suggested my thinking
might be wrong.

Bob  doesn't  run  his  data files from a cloud folder, a perfect user
preference  of  course,  but  then of course he must manually copy his *.fdb
and  any document files over to his cloud folder so the syncing can occur.

Now  my  argument  is, I would agree with his method if only the whole process
could  be automated.  The only way I could see that happening is  for  an
external program to run as Legacy closes.  Now in the old days  we might have
considered a batch file to run to do this as Legacy closes.

For  my money I just put my data file in the Cloud folder and run from there,
but  I  could  be convinced otherwise if it was achievable and non-manual.

Yes  Legacy  does  have  the  Backup facility and it's great and works well,
but that isn't what we're planning to use here.

Cheers
Dave

 --
 David Cripps,  Tasmania     <cri...@netspace.net.au>