Here are some things that may help stop data corruption and data loss:

. Always do Check/Repair before and after updating/upgrading the Legacy
program; before and after importing one file into another; before and after
merging duplicate persons, etc.
. Use an uninterruptable power supply or APC to protect your computer from
sudden power loss and to filter out power surges/fluctuations.
. Don't leave Legacy open and unattended for prolonged periods. Shut it down if
you are going to bed or will be away for more than a few minutes. A family file
can be corrupted if Legacy is open when an automatic Windows update with reboot
happens.
. Make sure that you always work in the same family file.  Some users have more
than one family file with the exact same name, but saved in different
locations. For example, if they have been adding new people to their family
file called MyGenealogy.fdb saved in Documents for several weeks, and then
inadvertently open an old version MyGenealogy.fdb saved in the Legacy folder
they conclude that Legacy has lost data.
. Restoring a family file from an old backup can be a problem. If you do not
backup frequently and need to restore your family file, you will get an older
version of your file with fewer people.
. Too many backups can be confusing. When you restore from a backup copy,
select the one with the most recent date.
. Run ScanDisk / Disk Defragmenter regularly on your computer's hard drive and
replace bad drives.
. Don't push the 2 GB size limitation for a family file. As a file approaches
the 2 GB limit it becomes susceptible to errors that can't be fixed.
. Back up your family file on a regular basis, especially before any major file
operations like importing and merging records, or using any tools like
Check/Repair, Advanced Deleting, Advanced Sourcing or Search and Replace which
make global changes to your family file.

Jim
Legacy Technical Support