I strongly disagree with this statement by Charani.  DNA is not a "fad"
or "craze."  It is science, and while traditional genealogical research
is needed to back up its findings, it can prove relationships where the
other sometimes cannot.  Let me give an example:  In November I found
out that my great-grandmother's father died three years - not three
months as we had always been told - before she was born.  So clearly, he
was not her father!  Because I was able to map my mother's
chromosomes so as to identify the segments she had received from her
grandmother through her grandmother's mother, I was able ot identify
those segments which had come from the unknown great-grandfather.  A
network of close matches on those segments proved the identity of my
great-grandmother's father.  This could never have been achieved using
traditional methods.  Although there was a longstanding relationship
between the families of my great-grandmother's parents, and although the
father was recently widowed (like my great-grandmother's mother) at the
time of her conception and living in the next county, none of this
information would have been known to us unless the DNA had led us to
him.  This is just one of several examples in which DNA has helped me
break down brick walls and confirm relationships.

Barton