Charani,

DNA certainly can be "infallible evidence". You've forgotten that it can be
exclusionary. In my case, I spent 5 years or more studying the Brittons of
Bitton to find a link to my brick wall in the adjacent parish of Kelston. One
glance at the first 16 STR markers that I received, and I junked all that work.
They were R1b and I was R1a, so we parted company many thousands of years ago.

I was already back to about 1500 in Somerset, so further conventional progress
would have to be via heraldry and old documents. That's a bit of a lottery,
probabilities and not infallible, so not too different from inclusionary DNA
for the "Genealogical Time" domain. DNA did offer, though, a potential means to
rigorously test more conventional findings. The Brittons of the Bristol area
seem likely to be Bretons, displaced to Brittany in the Dark Ages and returning
at 1066. My DNA arrival has been assigned to the same event, but as
mercenaries, not real helpful and fairly expensive in testing. Another test,
reported just a couple of weeks back, trippled the cost, but found a cousin and
illuminated deeper history. It now seems likely that our joint ancestor arrived
with the Romans, presumably as an auxiliary. I emailed my new cousin; he, of
course, did not reply. You don't always get much for money spent on DNA
testing...

Adam,

My reply to Charani gives a sense of the scope and utility of DNA to genealogy,
so is relevant to possible Legacy support of such data. Specific DNA testing
questions are better on a DNA list or forum. If you email me off list with
whatever you know of your haplogroup and earliest ancestor, I'll try to help.
Advice in this area is usually worthless or worse without knowing a lot about
your situation and aims.

kb