Brian, Cathy, et al,

This has been an interesting discussion. Why this discussion is most
interesting is how you relate this to how the events are recorded in Legacy.

Brian, having looked at many English parish records, I can agree with
Cathy that Baptism and Christening are used more or less
interchangeably with a strong dominance of Baptism.

Further, no differentiation seems to be made in those Registers
between infant baptism and "adult" baptism when it comes to how the
event is registered.

Now the question comes as to what we should consider infant baptism
which is used as a strong indicator of birth date in Legacy and
should be recorded in the Bapt/Chr vital event field on the
Individual Info window and what might be better recorded as a Baptism
/ Adult Baptism / etc. custom event?

I think most could agree that the Custom Event should be used when
the person is, say, over 10, as that Baptism is not indicative of the
person's birth date. But then, how would you treat a baptism when you
know the child is age 2 or older? Quite often, I see in parish
records that a group of children are baptized together, and it is
obvious that they are of greatly different ages. Maybe 1 or 2 are
infants, but the rest are much older so their baptism does not give a
genealogical indication of birth date.

Thanks to all for giving me something new to consider in recording my data.

john.