Brian wrote

> You cannot please everyone. Users complained frequently when we used
> "never married" so we changed it to a more general term relationship and
> now others are complaining about that.

Years ago, some users (myself included) "complained" about "Never Married
and Had No Children". because (a) interpretation of "married" varies
between users, and (b)  these two statements can conflict, and should be in
two separate fields.
But alas no-one took notice of *those* complaints!!
I agree with Pam - Legacy have changed the meaning of this long-established
field, without any user consultation, and without any option to use the
previous wording.Only making a bad situation worse.
Mary Young