Brian, as usual, this very complete explanation answers my question and
then some.  Now I know how to proceed attaching records as Media files.

Barton in Brooklyn

On Sat, Sep 05, 2015 at 12:31 AM, Brian L. Lightfoot wrote:

A PDF is NOT an image. It is a proprietary file format from Adobe for a
“container” that will contain encrypted text, images, spreadsheet data,
and other types of data. Even if the PDF contains multiple images or
nothing more than a single image, no one can see those images except
through the use of a PDF reader program (free from Adobe or other 3rd
party suppliers).

As mentioned in some other posts, there are multiple ways of converting
a PDF to that you can end up with standalone text files or standalone
images files.

If you use a PDF as a source media in Legacy, then the only thing that
will show in any report you create or web pages you create is a
reference to that certain PDF file which probably sits on your computer
at home.

If you use a “real image” file such as a JPEG, GIF, or TIFF image, then
those images can be included with a report created by Legacy and can be
seen by anyone viewing the report (either via an emailed report or a
printed report), or they can be seen on web pages created by Legacy
(provided the user uploads the web pages and the images files to a web
server.)

So if you plan on doing nothing other than keeping your Legacy family
data right at home on a computer, then you or anyone you invite over to
your house can easily view any PDF documents you may have attached to
your sources. But if you have a friend that lives far away and you want
to mail him/her a Legacy printed report about your ancestors, such a
report can include the “real images” printed right in the report if you
so choose but the PDF document will not be included as part of the
report. Let’s say your friend is an elderly person that does not have a
computer. He would be able to see all the “real images” printed on the
report but would never be able to view the PDF file even if that PDF
file had nothing in it other than one single image (such as the Death
Certificate mentioned in your original post).

Quite frankly, I personally do not see why Legacy even bothers with
support of PDF files. I suppose a few years ago lots of users demanded
it as it the thing to do but now with so many free choices of PDF
converters which can create text files or “real images”, I should think
it would be better if they converted any PDF document they come across
and use only the real text or the real image. In my opinion, the allowed
use of PDFs in Legacy is only so they can claim bragging rights that it
supports PDF. But to me it’s sort of like Legacy also claiming they
support these image file formats also: XPM-X, RAST, and TARGA (which
they actually still continue to support !). But when was the last time
you ever heard of anyone using any of those formats? I can remember
using TARGA when I did digital image restoration on a Targa Machine but
it was so long ago, I think it was when DOS was still king.

HTH

Brian in CA