From: Brian L. Lightfoot [mailto:br...@the-lightfoots.com]
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 11:31 PM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] unsupported file format

A PDF is NOT an image. It is a proprietary file format from Adobe for a
“container” that will contain encrypted text, images, spreadsheet data, and
other types of data. Even if the PDF contains multiple images or nothing more
than a single image, no one can see those images except through the use of a
PDF reader program (free from Adobe or other 3rd party suppliers).

As mentioned in some other posts, there are multiple ways of converting a PDF
to that you can end up with standalone text files or standalone images files.

If you use a PDF as a source media in Legacy, then the only thing that will
show in any report you create or web pages you create is a reference to that
certain PDF file which probably sits on your computer at home.

If you use a “real image” file such as a JPEG, GIF, or TIFF image, then those
images can be included with a report created by Legacy and can be seen by
anyone viewing the report (either via an emailed report or a printed report),
or they can be seen on web pages created by Legacy (provided the user uploads
the web pages and the images files to a web server.)

So if you plan on doing nothing other than keeping your Legacy family data
right at home on a computer, then you or anyone you invite over to your house
can easily view any PDF documents you may have attached to your sources. But if
you have a friend that lives far away and you want to mail him/her a Legacy
printed report about your ancestors, such a report can include the “real
images” printed right in the report if you so choose but the PDF document will
not be included as part of the report. Let’s say your friend is an elderly
person that does not have a computer. He would be able to see all the “real
images” printed on the report but would never be able to view the PDF file even
if that PDF file had nothing in it other than one single image (such as the
Death Certificate mentioned in your original post).

Quite frankly, I personally do not see why Legacy even bothers with support of
PDF files. I suppose a few years ago lots of users demanded it as it the thing
to do but now with so many free choices of PDF converters which can create text
files or “real images”, I should think it would be better if they converted any
PDF document they come across and use only the real text or the real image. In
my opinion, the allowed use of PDFs in Legacy is only so they can claim
bragging rights that it supports PDF. But to me it’s sort of like Legacy also
claiming they support these image file formats also: XPM-X, RAST, and TARGA
(which they actually still continue to support !). But when was the last time
you ever heard of anyone using any of those formats? I can remember using TARGA
when I did digital image restoration on a Targa Machine but it was so long ago,
I think it was when DOS was still king.

HTH

Brian in CA