Barbara,

No one is forcing you to go to Windows 10 from Windows 7. There are ways
to stop being offered Windows 10 but you probably need someone more
familiar with computers to implement them. If they don't know how, they
can Google it.

Legacy 8 installs in a completely different place to Legacy 6 so you can
install the free version and have a look at it without changing anything
in your Legacy 6. Just choose during the install to open the Sample file
rather than your own file and you'll know that nothing has been changed
and you can keep using Legacy 6.

To see your own file in Legacy 8, I think the most stress free so that
you are sure your Legacy 6 file is untouched, is to Restore a backup
file (you do make Legacy backup files don't you?) in Legacy 8.
File - Restore - navigate to where your Legacy backups are and choose
the most recent one and choose to Save it in Documents\Legacy Family
Tree\Data. To make doubly sure you know what it is, you could add an 8
to the name - that's what I do.  Documents\Legacy Family Tree\ folder is
created when you install Legacy 8. This folder can't be renamed or moved
for Legacy 8 to work as it has a folder in it that stores your Legacy
settings. Legacy will say that it needs to convert your file. Just say Yes.

Don't be scared off new versions by talk on mailing lists. You might put
the move off for a month or two but serious bugs affecting lots of
people are dealt with quickly. Do you encounter bugs now? Legacy 6 has
heaps of bugs like all programs but many users never see one.

Cathy