You could just put UNKNOWN in as the parents and add David Smith as the son of the Unknowns.
Not the best way but it will work.

On 2/24/2016 1:24 AM, June wrote:

Sorry to all, I’m not explaining this very well am I.

I have all people EXCEPT David Smith. I can’t work out how to put him on making him the first cousin of Simon Smith because I don’t have either David or Simon’s parents.

I know it should be simple – I know what cousins are but it’s just escaping me. Thanks for your help

June

From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On Behalf Of Cathy Pinner
Sent: Wednesday, 24 February 2016 4:16 PM
To: Mailing List for users of Legacy Family Tree software
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] How to enter the following.

June,

I'm not clear whether you have David Smith and Hannah in your database.

When you know the relationship but not the connecting people, you can enter placeholder people to hold them together.

Is Hannah the daughter of John Jones first wife? and you don't know her name? Just enter Hannah and link her to her father. That will create a new relationship for the father. You'll need to order marriages.

As Wendy says, be careful you don't enter someone twice.

This is a useful Support article if you find you've made some linking errors.
http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00344/14/Tips-and-How-Tos/Tips-on-Fixing-Relationship-Problems.html

Cathy

Wendy Howard wrote:

And As You Slide Down that Banister of Life You Should Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way..