I have an older (five years or so) PC with a dual processor, each having a clock speed of 3 GHz, and with 3.5 Gb usable RAM, and Windows 10. Using Legacy 8, latest build.

Working a small file of 300 records, and my usual set of potential problems selected, I still have a little lag of about a 1/4 or 1/2 second when editing or adding a source, selecting, or etc. However, If I turn off all the potential problem selections, I don't see any lag time at all with basic operations.

Even if working with a large file of 181,000 records, the differences noted above are about the same.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that Legacy uses only one processor for all (or most?) it's operations, and if so, it won't make a lot of difference how many of them you have. Nowadays, the processors are usually offered at (quite a bit) slower clock speed than 3 GHz., which would explain what I'm hearing from other Legacy users. I presume this is because the manufacturers want to make us believe they are offering more, using a processor that doesn't cost them as much to provide. In some ways, this might be justified, if we only use software that has been written to take advantage of the new features built into the new processors and systems. It is expected that programs will run faster on the new processors even if they are using slower clock frequencies. It is no doubt true that many programs, especially newer ones that take advantage of some of the new features will perform better, but I'm not sure that all programs and all software operations that the programs use can be guaranteed to run faster.

Warm regards to all.

Joseph Leavitt