This seems to be another Internet myth concerning RootsWeb/World Connect.
Ancestry has absolutely no control over your files. You are free to update
them, delete them, or take them offline whenever you please. There is no need
to fight with anyone unless you enjoy fighting with yourself. All you have to
do is login to your account (you needed to establish one to upload the gedcom
in the first place). Once logged in, you click on which tree belongs to you
(some people have more than one tree), and from there you will see the
following options on the right side of the page:

·         Display Options

·         Living Person Options

·         GEDCOM Download Options

·         Owner Information

·         Manage Post-ems

·         Replace Tree with New GEDCOM

·         Download GEDCOM

·         Take Tree Offline

·         Delete Tree

But Martha does raise a valid point about the “quality” of the family trees
that you will find there…and for that matter, almost anyone’s own family
database found on the web. The vast majority of family trees posted to RootsWeb
are without any source citations. But some are well documented. As she said,
you can always use what you find there as clues for further research to
validate the information.

I have a cousin who has done some extensive research into our common ancestors
in Ireland and Germany and even though we live only a few miles apart, our two
different schedules have made it nearly impossible to meet and share
information. What we’ve done is for each of us to upload our own gedcom
generated from Legacy, complete with all our source citations, to the RW
servers. Then each of us at our leisure has been able to compare notes on
specific individuals and update our own files as necessary. The rest of all our
cousins and other shirt-tail relatives then access the RW files and are amazed
at the info we’ve collected and how it is presented. So there is another use of
a gedcom…not necessarily for exchanging data between two genealogy software
programs but rather an easy way to make the family files available to all the
relatives without them having to install Legacy or any other program. All they
need is a smart phone or computer to access the web. Voila!

As a side note to Martha, if you are having problems with updating or replacing
your own trees that you’ve uploaded to RW, I invite you to contact me offline
and I’ll see if I can help you with a step-by-step process of how you can
accomplish that.

Brian in CA