On 10 Jul 2016 at 1:03, Martha Graham wrote:

> Back in 1999 when Mail Lists were in vogue, a lot of us shared
> information via them and also personal communication. Sharing sets of
> files as well as gedcoms.
>
> But, those bits and pieces wound up in General Notes because I had no
> place else to put them. The info is, obviously, scattered among my
> people. So, how do I preserve the original source of email addy and date along
> with a brief explanation of what was sent?

E-mails I classify as letters.

I record correspondence with a particular person, whether by e-maul, snail
mail or mailing list (a variant of e-mail) as one master source, as
"Correspondence with Name". In the detail section I put the date of the
letter or e-mail, and put relevant quotes in the "Detail Test".When I file
them under dates, the date I put in the Detail section is always in
YYYY-MM-DD format, which means they are sorted in date order when you look at
the sources for a particular person.

I don't use Sourcewriter for correspondence, because I find it too
cumbersome. It tends to create a separate master source for each letter or
e-mail, and that just creates digital clutter.

GEDCOMs I classify separately as Gedcoms, with the name of the person I
received them from and the date of the Gedcom in the Master Source. In the
detail section I put the name of the person and their ID number in the
Gedcom..

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: sha...@dunelm.org.uk