From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of Barbara Ford
Sent: 03 February 2017 14:40
To: Legacy User Group <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Big Question

Now that makes perfect sense. I'm flagging this note to perhaps save me some
pain when I do a new install into Windows 10.

Agree about the admin thing--I currently cannot get rid of a folder (a
Western Digital folder) I do not want on an external hard drive, because it
says I don't have administrative privileges. Enfuriating.

Thanks,
Barb

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 10:36 PM, Robert57P_gmail <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One problem you may have run into with Legacy 6 and Win7:  Windows 7
"protects" some of the folders that used to be open.  By default, the older
Legacy versions (I forget when they changed it) used to install in some of
these folders that are now "protected".

> I got around this by overriding the Legacy install.  If you install Legacy
6 on Windows 10 (or Win8 or Win7), instead of accepting the normal
"C:\PROGRAM FILES", instead tell Legacy to install into something like:
"C:\winprog\legacy".  Since you are creating that "winprog" folder, windows
has no rules about it and won't protect it.  So the older programs should
run fine out of that location.

> I have a C:\winprog, and C:\wingame, and a C:\winutil - I install any "old
style" programs in those folders instead of in "C:\PROGRAM FILES" and it
works pretty good.  And I store data from "old style" programs into
C:\windata.  As much as I appreciate Microsoft "trying to protect us from
ourselves", I don't like being told "you don't have permission to mess in
folder xyz"!!!  I'm the administrator of this computer, darn it - I can do
(or should be able to do) whatever I want where ever I want . . . as long as
I understand the consequences.  Or, as a poster I once saw said:
> "When my computer tells me I don't have admin privileges . . . Aren't we
forgetting one teensy weensy but ever so critical little tiny detail?  I OWN
YOU"

> Bob
>
>> On 02/02/2017 14:16, Barb Ford wrote:
>> Okay, thank you, James. My incorrect assumption that Legacy 6 would not
play well with Windows 10 was based on this: When I started with Legacy 6, I
used XP. A few years ago, I changed to Windows 7. At that time, my Legacy
program simply would not open with the new operating system. I was able to
utilize the help of someone from this group, at that time, who spent a lot
of time off-group, even with a Skype session, helping me to get everything
to work. It was my understanding that the problem was because of the
operating system and that I should consider upgrading to a newer Legacy
version if I encountered further problems. As I say, that was my
understanding at the time; perhaps I misunderstood, or perhaps I was given
incorrect or incomplete information. Either way, it has been in the back of
my mind that when I changed operating systems again, I should be ready to
upgrade to the latest Legacy version. I see now that I was laboring under a
false assumption/conclusion.
>> Thank you,
>> Barbara

difference since Windows XP and 8.1. As someone else indicated, if you
upgrade to Legacy 8, make a copy of your Legacy 6 file to transfer to Legacy
8, keeping your Legacy 6 file intact. Once your file is transferred to
Legacy 8 it will be unusable on Legacy 6. As stated, you can run both
programs on the same computer until you are comfortable with the new Legacy.

>>> James Smith

data file, or does Legacy 8 put its data in a different location, and does
it save it "on the fly" like Legacy 6? My Legacy 6 data is all in a folder
named Legacy that resides directly on the C hard drive. I don't have a real
reason for wanting NOT to use Legacy 6, except that I fear it would not work
well with Windows 10. Am I right on that?