TIP OF THE DAY (Legacy Staff) - My current project

(Legacy 9)

I have been doing genealogy a long time, long before Find a Grave (or any
other website for that matter) existed. Back in the day you either visited
the cemetery yourself or you used a cemetery survey book. I have A LOT of
people that have a cemetery survey book as a source.

A picture of the actual tombstone is better evidence than a transcription of
the tombstone in a cemetery survey book so I have tagged everyone in my file
that uses a cemetery book as a source (easy to do on the Master Source
List). I am using the tag navigation tool in the extreme bottom right corner
of the Family View to go from person to person. It looks like this I:2. In
this case I am using Individual Tag 2. You can navigate by using the forward
and backward arrows and you can change the tag number by clicking in the
center of that button.

I am using the new FaG tool to help my find these people on Find a Grave.

1) If there is a FaG memorial with a photo, I add the FaG number to the new
FaG field, I create a new source and I delete the old one, and I ask
permission of the photographer to download the photograph to my file. I then
untag the person.

2) If there is a FaG memorial without a photo, I request a photo and I untag
this person but I then tag them on another dedicated tag letting me know
that I am in a holding pattern. I do not change my source citation. I never
use FaG as a source unless there is a photograph.

3) If there is no FaG memorial, I add one. I know the person is buried there
because I have a cemetery survey book that says so. When I create the
memorial I put full source citation to the book and I request a photo. I
then untag them from this tag and tag them on the other tag (my holding
pattern one). Again, I don't change my source, not until I have a
photograph.

So what happens if I request a photo and the FaG volunteer advises that
there is no marker? Then my cemetery book remains the best evidence. Some of
the books I use are quite old and I have found many instances where the
marker existed in 1925 but it doesn't exist anymore. In that case I will
make a note on the memorial with a full citation to the book. I add that FaG
volunteer Jane Doe #12345679 searched the cemetery and found no marker.

I started working on this yesterday. I only have 1245 more people to go :)

Michele Simmons Lewis, CG

Legacy Family Tree

mich...@legacyfamilytree.com <mailto:mich...@legacyfamilytree.com>

www.legacyfamilytree.com <http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/>

Certified Genealogist is a registered trademark and the designation CG is a
service mark of the Board for Certification of GenealogistsR, used under
license by Board certificants who meet competency standards.