From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of JV Leavitt
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:39 PM
To: Legacy User Group <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Legacy 8 - date change after latest update

Brian, are you not basing the date on a calculation? Why not use the term
Calculated instead? If I see the term About, I don't automatically think it
is meant to mean plus or minus a year or two. My experience tells me that
yes, I know it can very often mean plus or minus a year or two, or-- it
could be a wild guess, based on little or no evidence -- we don't have any
way to know what others intend or interpret it to mean. This frustrating
ambiguity could be avoided by using a term that has a more specific meaning.

If the sources give too wide a difference in the age, then I also enter one
or more of them into alternate dates, but they are still calculated dates.
Thank you for pointed out that a death record that gives birth information
in terms of years, months, and days, is still a calculated date. It should
never be taken as better than that, because as we all know, a birth record
is almost always a better source for birth information than what we see on
death records.

By the way, calculating the birth date from death records is made so very
easy using the Legacy Calendar date calculator! Thank you Legacy!  Anyone
not aware of it, and doing genealogical research, is missing something very
helpful and important. Note too, by the way, that when Legacy's Calendar
Calculate feature is used, the resulting date is, thankfully, shown with a
prefix of "Cal", just like it should be. :-)

Joseph Leavitt