On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 09:00:22AM +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> > I think the biggest problem for commercial users is probably the fact
> > that they can't get legal info from us - if they ask "can we do X"
> > then our response will always be "read the license and ask a lawyer".
> I agree, that is very unsatifactory. It is even inconvenient to me as a
> private person, and it is a killer argument for commercial firms.

I agree too. I still feel OSM as a project should clarify what
kind of attibution it exactly expects. And it should include a
guarantee that at least the project will not sue or support
lawsuits by indivual contributors if you adhere to the expectations
of the project.

Legal matters are all about risk management : getting sued and
having OSM-theproject on the other side versus getting sued and having
OSM-theproject on your side makes a lot of difference in the
risk tradeoff, potential PR fallout and what not considerations
a company might have for using an OSM map in their leaflet.

cu bart