On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:02:26PM -0700, Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
> From what I understand, under the new license, any dataset that we
> build in-house based on the geometry or tags of data in the
> transportation layer, which we choose to release to our client or
> other parties, would have to be released under a share-alike license.

That is not true. As long as you base your work solely on your own data,
you are free to do with it as you seek. Even after having uploaded it
under the proposed license.

The viral part of the license/contract only comes in play when you start
building on OSM data that is not wholly owned by you.

> Some people may tell me that I could do this any ways, even if my data
> was subject to the new license, but based on the discussions I've read
> on this list I think it is a real gray area. Having a public domain
> repository takes away a great deal of the "share-alike violation"
> fears a company like mine would have.

Your fears are only valid if you use data that is not you. No OSM
proposed contract has an exclusivity clause in it.

cu bart