Simon Ward wrote:
this could mean that
anyone running osm2pgsql importing minutely data updates would possibly
have to make available a ''psql dump of the whole planet'' for any
snapshot time where someone cares to request it.

So be it.

Do you have any suggestion on how to achieve this technically?

We discussed this on legal-talk some time back, and explored the possibility of making a distinction between 'the same data in a different internal format' and 'new data'. Personally I have no interest in having legal access to yet another different internal model of the same data; I only want access to new data or corrected data in an accessible format.

There is also the option that says that a Collective DB does not need to be released, only the OSM component, and as such I believe that if one combined the OSM data with some other datasource to create a collective DB then one would not need to go through this release process if one was using OSM data in 'an unmodified form'. We will be asking our lawyer for their interpretation of 'in unmodified form. If one takes the OSM data in XML OSM format and puts it in a DB by an automated process then has one modified it? I hope not

Personally I think the current definition of a Derivative Database is unhelpful restrictive and should be loosened to only include situations where new data is added, and exclude ones where it has only been rearranged.

Regards,

Peter