I wonder if Google is going to change their terms of use now they are
shedding their major map data providers[1][2]. Being liberated from
their terms of use – for now, in the US only – Google is free to
conjure up any terms of use for their map data they like. Their
'Google Maps/Earth Terms of Service' still prohibit Google Maps users
from creating any derivative work[3] - which a project such as
PublicEarth certainly seems to be trying to do. In that way they are
in much the same kind of trouble as GeoNames[4]. They seem not to care
too much themselves though[5].

[1]
http://blumenthals.com/blog/2008/09/19/google-maps-now-using-teleatlas-data-exclusively/
[2]