On 16 July 2010 18:35, Rob Myers <r...@robmyers.org> wrote:
>> 48% for, 6% against, no clear majority...
>
> The largest single voting category is clearly the "for" vote.
>
> And within the cast votes the result is even clearer.

I guess you misunderstand what "clear majority" means, that is 50.1%
for, not 48% for...

>>> The informal poll indicates that for the most part they are not.
>>
>> This is like Fox taking a poll about how people voted and then
>> declaring a winner rather than actually waiting for votes to be
>> counted, it's meaningless for the most part and further more the poll
>> used doesn't link to actual accounts so there is nothing stopping
>> people from gaming the system.
>
> There isn't, but the OSM community aren't 4chan.

How does that make it any better, anyone with suitable motivation
could simply extract a list of usernames from the planet dump and
start casting votes for and against with enough bias for the outcome
they choose without making it look like they're actively gaming the
system. If you like I would be happy to give you a demonstration
rather than abstract descriptions so as not to give people howto
manual on it.

> People will not vote to change over if they disagree with the change-over.

Does saying 'no' mean they disagree with the change over or the license?

> Can you suggest a way we can estimate this?

There is simply to many variables to estimate it. What needs to be
done is the process changes to remove commitment regardless if people
are for or against ODBL, and then have a vote to commit to a change at
a later date.

> ODbL is a comparable licence to BY-SA, with the main change being that it
> has actually been written to cover data. If people don't relicence because
> they are afraid not enough people will relicence then that will be a bit of
> a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Several people have made suggestions on how to prevent this from
occurring, but you don't seem interested.

>> I don't know if 50% of the data for Australia would be lost, which
>> would not be in my interest, so why would agree to the change over and
>> be steam rolled by people in other parts of the world only caring
>> about what's best in their interest?
>
> BY-SA does not protect the freedom to use OSM data in Australia. Trying to
> continue pretending that it does doesn't serve the interests of Australians.

You haven't been paying attention have you?

There have been several imports of government data licensed under
cc-by for Australia and there is also LINZ data for New Zealand which
is under a similar cc-by license, a lot of people have been pushing
for a PD style license which would make that data incompatible,
assuming that ODBL or the new TCs don't making it incompatible
already, do you really want to upset an entire region of the planet?

> Someone voting for something is no guarantee that they will do it.

Agreeing to ODBL isn't voting for something.

> All there is to fear is fear of fear. ;-)

The road to hell is paved by good intentions...