On 25/08/2010, at 5:41 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> There is also a very practical reason against fixing anything, and
> *specifically* a share-alike requirement, in the CT, and that is that in
> order to make *clear* what you want you will have to write half a license
> into the CT.

I completely agree - if you want to add a clause requiring that future licenses
be "share alike" you'll need to come up with a good definition of what that
means, and once you do you're probably made it impossible to relicense. The
whole point of the relicensing clause is that we don't know what we'll need in
the future.

Consider for example if OSM had originally had the CTs along with the CC-BY-SA
license. I would argue strongly that we couldn't then re-license to ODbL under
the CTs because ODbL's version of share-alike isn't what people would have
assumed it meant when they signed up.

If I agreed to the CTs along with CC-BY-SA, I would expect that "share alike"
meant rendered images would have to be under the same license, but ODbL doesn't
require that.

For the people who want a share-alike requirement in the CTs, how do you want
it defined? If we want to require Derived Databases to be under the same
license, but not Produced Works or Insubstantial Extractions, you'll have to
define those terms. In addition, you'll probably need to define Publicly Use
and many of the rest too.

Once you've defined all of those in the CTs, then realise that it means we
probably can never use the CTs to relicense because the target licence has
slightly different definitions of those terms or doesn't have the exact same
requirements.