On 09/02/2010 05:09 AM, Eric Jarvies wrote:

On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Anthony wrote:

If ODbL were CC-BY-SA for databases, I'd be in favor of it.

+1

ODbL *is* share-alike for databases, with attribution.

What it isn't is share-alike for produced works.

Even BY-SA doesn't cover absolutely everything it touches. It doesn't cover collective works, for example. This may not matter to you or me but it is controversial for photographers when their BY-SA work is used to illustrate a non-BY-SA article.

Making mash-ups easier and not excluding incompatible data sources in what are now called produced works has always been a strong goal of the OSM community that I've encountered. ODbL achieves that without sacrificing share-alike on the *database*.

- Rob.