On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Rob Myers <r...@robmyers.org> wrote:
> On 09/02/2010 05:09 AM, Eric Jarvies wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Anthony wrote:
>>

>>> If ODbL were CC-BY-SA for databases, I'd be in favor of it.
>>
>> +1
>
> ODbL *is* share-alike for databases, with attribution.
>
> What it isn't is share-alike for produced works.

And what it also isn't, is CC-BY-SA for databases.  Because it is not
share-alike for produced works, and because it requires distribution
of source along with distribution of produced works.

> Even BY-SA doesn't cover absolutely everything it touches.

Correct.  But irrelevant.

> Making mash-ups easier and not excluding incompatible data sources in what
> are now called produced works has always been a strong goal of the OSM
> community that I've encountered.

So you want to change the license (not just a flaw in the license, but
an intentional feature of it).  Fine, go ahead, just be honest about
what you're doing.