On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Robert Kaiser <ka...@kairo.at> wrote:
> Anthony schrieb:

>>> So you say the GNU project should not work? Or the OpenOffice.org
>>> project?
>>
>> No, I'm saying they don't have 100,000 contributors (with the obvious
>> context that I'm talking about contributors of "significant
>> contributions").
>
> Neither have we. And no, my mapping of a single midsize town and random
> small other things is not significant in terms of the project in any way.
> IMHO, there are probably not more than 50, perhaps 100, "significant"
> contributors to OSM - fewer than the GNU project has.

You're not using "significant contribution" the same way as the GNU project.

I find it hard to believe that you can't see that the number of
contributors of data to OSM vastly outweighs the number of source code
contributors to *any* open source project.

There's also the fact that the barriers to entry into becoming a
contributor on OSM are vastly lower, and the fact that pseudonymous
contributions are the norm.

Copyright assignment could never work with OSM, which, incidentally,
is something the LWG realized and decided *not* to require copyright
assignment.

>> If ODbL were CC-BY-SA for databases, I'd be in favor of it.  It isn't.
>
> And I think you won't get anything applying to our database that is more
> similar in spirit than this.

That's silly.  Just remove the stuff about Produced Works, including
the requirement to offer the database when you distribute Produced
Works.  That'd get you much closer to the spirit of CC-BY-SA.

> But if we might get at some point in the
> future, at least clause 3 of the CTs gives us a potential way to switch to
> that.

And the CTs are probably the worst part of the relicensing.  But
that's another topic.