On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com> wrote:
> As a side note, if using ODbL, why not make the tiles public domain?

Indeed.  But I think that you are right that this is a side note.  Why
not start that discussion on the wiki, or in a separate thread here?
I've changed the subject to reflect this.

What would be your preference for the future tile license?  Ed, do you
have a preferred future tile license?

Would it be okay with you if I published my future tiles under a
license that differs from that of openstreetmap.org tiles?  I think it
is a net-benefit for the project and the community if future tiles can
be published anywhere along the spectrum of

Proprietary< --->Some rights reserved<--->No rights reserved

But the main OSM site and tile server is a special case.  We should
aim to set a good example.  What should the future tile license be?
Is it simplest to keep the tile license the same as it is now rather
than risk compatibility problems with downstream consumers of tiles?
Should the main site create tiles under a selection of licenses?

Do we aim for minimum change in the tile license, or do we aim for
maximum compatibility for the tiles by changing the tile license to
PDDL or CC-Zero?

I am not suggesting a change in tile usage policy.  Tiles should still
be primarily a service to assist mappers, not an unrestricted service
for tile consumers.