On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com> wrote:

> M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@...> writes:
>
> >> I don't think a change to public domain licensing could cause any
> >> compatibility problem.
> >
> >PD but still with certain conditions respected: no re-engineering,
> >attribution, etc. like requested by the OdbL? As far as I understand
> >this, while the tiles themselves might be quite unrestricted, the
> >contained data still won't be --- also under OdbL.
>
> Yes, this is one of the more unpleasant aspects of the licence, at least
> under
> some interpretations.  It's allowed to make proprietary,
> all-rights-reserved
> map renderings, but if you want to produce a truly CC-licensed or public
> domain
> one you can't.  (This refers to the no-tracing restrictions; an attribution
> requirement is more reasonable.)

ODbL does not contain any tracing restrictions.  An early draft contained a
no-reverse-engineering clause, but this was removed.  ODbL does not impose
any restrictions whatsoever over the *use* of a produced work.

If I want to take a PD licensed copy of a produced work I can do whatever I
like with it.  Some people, including Jordan Hatcher, do believe that ODbL
does not permit such freedom, but there's no words that I can see to that
effect.

The *only* rider on a produced work is a rather weak and non-viral
attribution demand:

"However, if you Publicly Use a Produced Work, You must include a notice
associated with the Produced Work reasonably calculated to make any Person
that uses, views, accesses, interacts with, or is otherwise exposed to the
Produced Work aware that Content was obtained from the Database, Derivative
Database, or the Database as part of a Collective Database, and that it is
available under this License."

Anyone care to point to the language in ODbL that would stop someone tracing
from a Produced Work? I really havn't been able to find it.