On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>wrote:

> Martijn van Exel wrote:
> > > "If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute
> > > the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one."
> > Consider this case: someone wants to use OpenStreetMap data augmented
> > with POIs from a closed source in a routing application. This routing
> > application is then used within the company for which it is built,
> > for commercial purposes.  Do the POIs need to be released under
> > CC-BY-SA? The word 'may' implies they do not.
>
> "May" in this case means "are permitted to", so in theory, yes they do need
> to be released.
>
> But, as ever, the coach-and-horses hole in CC-BY-SA means that if your
> routing application combines the POIs itself (i.e. on the client), you are
> free to ignore the share-alike clause.

You are not free to ignore the share-alike clause.  You are simply avoiding
it by not publishing the combined work.  That's a feature of CC-BY-SA which
can be used for the scenario you describe.

It's maybe not what we originally envisaged when CC-BY-SA was selected but
it's not such a bad thing.  There are things in the proposed cure that are
much worse.