80n wrote:
> You are not free to ignore the share-alike clause. You are simply avoiding
> it by not publishing the combined work.

The ever-unreliable dictionary on this Mac defines publish as "print
(something) in a book or journal so as to make it generally known: we pay
$10 for every letter we publish".

You certainly are making the combined work known, and insofar as "print" can
be interpreted as "displayed on a monitor" (you'd have thought Apple would
ship a dictionary on their Macs that was written some time in the last 50
years), it's spot on.

Take the example at http://www.geowiki.com/halcyon/ : the combined work is
OSM data (CC-BY-SA) and a map stylesheet. _But_ the map stylesheet does not
have to be licensed as CC-BY-SA because the client (in this case, a Flash
app) is doing the combining.

> That's a feature of CC-BY-SA which
> can be used for the scenario you describe.

Yeah, I like features. Potlatch has about 300 features listed on trac. I
might get round to fixing them one of these days.

cheers
Richard