For the record

1) I accept that the Microsoft Licence[1] to use Bing imagery is an early version, and we have been told it will be revised 2) I suspect that Microsoft do intend that Bing imagery may be used to update OSM

However:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Myers" <r...@robmyers.org>
To: <legal-talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Someone already had a look at the Bing Terms of Use?

On 19/12/10 10:30, Andrew Harvey wrote:

Where is this direct statement from Microsoft that says derived
information from aerial imagery delivered through their map api can be
licensed under a CT compatible license?

Microsoft have directly stated that Bing imagery may be used to update OSM.

The licence PDF states:

"Any updates you make to the OpenStreetMap map via the
Application (even if not published to third parties) must be contributed back to openstreetmaps.org."

Which is NOT the same as stating "Microsoft have directly stated that Bing imagery may be used to update OSM".

Indeed, had Microsoft have directly stated that Bing imagery may be used to update OSM, then I suspect you would have pointed to a paragraph which backed up that assertion.

As I've written before[2] the only direct mention Microsoft have made of derived data made from tracing Bing Imagery is their statement that it isn't allowed [3].

However, as I stated at the state of this message I suspect that Microsoft intend that Bing imagery may be used to update OSM, I also suspect that they intended the wording of the licence [1] to make it clear. On that (admittedly probably unsound from a legal point of view), basis I have been tracing from Bing.

David

Agreeing to the CTs is a condition of doing so.

- Rob.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/d/d8/Bing_license.pdf
[2] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2010-December/005305.html [3] http://www.microsoft.com/maps/assets/docs/terms.aspx