----- Original Message ----- From: "Grant Slater" <openstreet...@firefishy.com> To: "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2010 8:04 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Someone already had a look at the Bing
TermsofUse?

On 19 December 2010 16:53, David Groom <revi...@pacific-rim.net> wrote:
Have you read? Microsoft mention a whole lot more than what link to....
http://www.bing.com/community/site_blogs/b/maps/archive/2010/12/01/bing-maps-aerial-imagery-in-openstreetmap.aspx
Try the google cache version: http://bit.ly/eUjkKS

Yes Grant, I have read both of those, in particular the statement on both
which says "To learn more and see the full terms of use, please see the
Bing
Maps Imagery Editor license."

And the "Bing Maps Imagery Editor license" link points to the
OpenGeoData blog post which has the license + downloadable PDF.
http://opengeodata.org/microsoft-imagery-details

Therefore to comment on the terms of use I decided to refer to the
licence,
and not the blog posts you refer to, since the blogs tell me to refer to
the
licence.

Download the license from the OpenGeoData post, it is called ""Bing
Maps Imagery Editor API License FINAL.pdf"

As far as I can see that document is the same as the one I was referring to.

What you link to in [3] is Bing's standard terms for everyone else...
Not what applies for OSM.

Could you please refer me to the source for why these terms do not apply
OSM? Particularly in view of the fact that, as I referred to earlier, in
the Bing Maps Imagery Editor license it says the terms do apply (see
section
6)

Open JOSM or Potlatch2, the Terms-Of-Use link that is specified is:
http://opengeodata.org/microsoft-imagery-details
And sure, this should be more explict.

That's what I'm saying. As far as I can see the licence does not state that derived works can me made from Bing imagery.

We have permission to derive NEW works from their imagery on condition
that the new works go into OSM.

Good, please show me where this is clearly stated. Then we can end the
discussion.

Better detailed here:
http://www.systemed.net/blog/?p=100

Now I see where your coming from. Its OK to use all imagery, even Google, we don't actually need a licence. Which is an interesting argument, though completely irrelevant to the question of whether Microsoft have actually granted us a licence to derive data from their imagery.

And now add to that we have explit permission to use the imagery....

I've repeatedly asked where is the explicit permission to use Bing Imagery to create derived works, all the only answer is "we have it". As I've said before if its there please show us where it is.

What appears to me to have been granted is as follows:

ARGUMENT 1