On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com> wrote:
> I think there has been a bit of a crossed wire between 'scientific data' and
> 'anything which can be considered as data'.  The position that scientific data
> sets should be placed in the public domain seems reasonable (IMHO) but it is
> not
> directly relevant to OSM because we are not a science project.

Strongly agree.  Whether started and/or spread by CC, OSM, both, or
neither, there definitely seems to be a common misconception that OSM
is simply a database of facts, and that therefore what's best for a
database of facts is best for OSM.

I'm thrilled to see that CC seems to be distancing itself from this position.