On 04/18/2011 10:06 PM, Simon Ward wrote:
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 07:34:57AM +0200, andrzej zaborowski wrote:

Commercial use needs to be allowed for the data to even be considered
"open knowledge" according to http://www.opendefinition.org/okd/ .
Since this is often a deciding factor for authors/users/courts, it's
probably good that this is mentioned explicitly.

“commercial” is ambiguous, and while I don’t expect “commercial“ use to
be restricted, I don’t think it needs to be explicitly stated.  Just
allow “any field of endeavour”.  KISS, etc.

Since there are licences that explicitly exclude commercial use that used in projects branded "open" (OpenCourseWare being a particularly egregious example of this) it is worthwhile mentioning commercial use, however vague it is as a concept.

- Rob.