Hi,

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
The Directive says a database

[snip Richard's quote and replace mine from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31996L0009:EN:HTML]

"Article 1

Scope

1. This Directive concerns the legal protection of databases in any form.

2. For the purposes of this Directive, 'database` shall mean a collection of independent works, data or other materials arranged in a systematic or methodical way and individually accessible by electronic or other means."

I would say that a list of 65536 colour values (the "data"), arranged in a systematic way in 256 columns and 256 rows, and individually accessible by a PNG reader, certainly sounds like a database according to this defintion?

I'm just speculating here but if I had a rendering engine that would transform the OSM planet file into a giant bitmap (colour values arranged, etc.), I would not be surprised if I could get away with sharing this bitmap as a derived database under ODbL. I guess someone who printed it out would then create a produced work, but me?

Not a lawyer here either, and frankly if we took the position that every map tile was indeed a database, then a lot of the advantages we see in ODbL would crumble. But, as Kai suggested, in some situations it may actually make things easier for you if you could say "this PNG file is a database"; and the current community norm does seem to allow a lot of interpretation. Ok, so my PNG file was "intended" to extract the data. It didn't work out in the end but the intention was there... )