2012/10/22 Jonathan Harley <j...@spiffymap.net>:
> Anyway, the ODbL is explicit that an image is an example of a produced work,
> so for anyone creating them, their responsibility is clear: include the
> notice required for produced works.
>
> It's also explicit that a produced work is not a derivative database (4.5b),
> so it follows that a map image does not have to be licensed using ODbL. So,
> the hypothetical person wishing to publish on a stock art website only has
> to decide whether they wish to impose ODbL or some other restriction on
> their work, or not. Not imposing any restrictions on an image is clearly
> allowed. (In which case a database derived from the image would not be bound
> by ODbL.)

Then this is clearly a loophole. You could render (with a dedicated
style) the whole world in a very high zoom level (even as raster, if
you're in doubt whether vectors might fall under ODbL), apply image
recognition on it (would be simple if you used one rendered layer per
feature) and reassemble the whole database. I am simplifying this
process, but it is clearly possible. If you optimized your render
styles in a way, that the features are more easily recognizable /
specially encoded, I am sure you can get a quite useful extract in
this way, you might even encode rendering styles for turn
restrictions, maxspeed, and similar in a way that they can be deducted
automatically.

cheers,
Martin