Hi Igor and fellow legal-talk,

A rather long email, so summary: I am rather hijacking Igor's email, but I hope it will help provide an answer though not immediately. The present "Trivial Transformation" Community Guideline, [1], is applying tactics and discussion without having any overriding strategy or conclusion. It is therefore confusing and difficult to develop further as is. I propose that we base a re-write on: *OpenStreetMap considers **Open Data to be a usefully collected set of intelligently or machine-made physical observations only. Purely algorithmic augmentation of data and re-casting of data to use, store or transmit it in different manners is not part of the data IP. Share Alike may however apply to physical observations inside the augmented or re-cast data; in this case the physical observations must be provided to the public in a commonly used or documented open format as per ODbL clause 4.6b*. The wording might be improved, but that is the general idea. If follows the general direction of discussion within the License Working Group but takes it to a more extreme, but I think logical, conclusion. Argument follows using Igor's posting.

> I've read it carefully and it doesn't really answer my questions, it just raises some new ones.

I rather feared that.

> *is there a place for proprietary/closed source software in OSM ecosystem*?

Yes, that is a key question. I will argue below that yes there absolutely is a place. However, this is not necessarily a consensus view and it is presented for discussion.

> I see some serious issues with the way how we approach the whole ODbL thing.

I do not think the issue is ODbL. The issue is the application of Share Alike to open data under whatever license. ODbL 1.0 has made a tremendous leap forward here. But it is like climbing a mountain. You need to climb the first ridge to start understanding what the rest of the climb looks like. I understand this causes issues for commercial companies, but our primary concern is growing open geodata and *very carefully* evolving open data IP to lower barriers on everyone using it in "creative, productive, or unexpected ways".

To properly answer Igor, we need to do two things:

1) Establish a general principle that the OSM community is happy with.

2) Determine whether the general principle can be translated into unambiguous wording without gotchas and whether it jives with specific issues, for example as per Frederik's email. It should be presented as a well-written Community Guide line. Once really understood, we can then look at whether ODbL can be improved and give input for other open licenses, such as CC.

Here is what I, personally, see as the general principle and the argument for it.

OSM, and possibly any open data project, is about collecting a set of physical observations and making them open in an open format.

Additionally, (and not used by other projects, like US government data), we want to apply a certain amount of pressure on folks who take advantage of the results to open up and share more physical observations of their own. For that we use Share Alike. Some like this, some don't. But it is what we do. It has some great advantages for commercial entities; it has some headaches.

The key words here are "physical observations".

Messing around with fancy algorithms and neat ways to store data efficiently provides no added value to the data itself. It does not generate more observations. It may provide more interesting information or knowledge, but that is a creative process unrelated to the data itself. [This is the contentious bit, counter comments welcome].

It is a somewhat weak software IP analogy, but if Igor writes an amazing book using vanilla Libre Office, then what he does with the book is irrelevant to Libre Office licensing. He has not done anything to improve Libre Office.

The major exception to this is if Igor has somewhere along the line added some more physical observations. Share Alike may apply to these and proprietary transformation or storage mechanism may block access. The obvious solution is to make available the physical observations, just the observations, in an open format, such as OSM XML.

And so hence the first attempt at creating clear, unambiguous wording with no side-effects:

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Trivial_Transformations_-_Guideline