Hi Frederik,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 2:44 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 10/23/12 01:24, Alex Barth wrote:
>>

> Another question that we could ask to enlighten us is: What do commercial
> geocoding providers usually allow you to do once you have paid them? When
> you geocode a dataset with TomTom data and you pay them for that, do TomTom
> then still claim any rights about your resulting database, or do they say,
> like you sketched above, that "their license does not extend to the geocoded
> dataset"?

I think we need to separate the geocoding engine from the data to
answer this question. I worked for a company where we had geocoded a
huge amount of data (millions and millions of records) with one street
dataset. The dataset began to be too expensive and we looked for
another source. When we switched datasources we had to regeocoded all
the records because the original geocodes were derived from the
original commercial data source.

So essentially it was the lat/lons that were associated with the
original data, but not the address data we had input.

I'm unsure what would have happened to the corrected addresses the
geocoder fed back. We would have fed in the original data again.

-Kate