I personally can't see enough wiggle room both in the ODbL and the CTs
to make any dataset generated by geocoding and/or reverse geocoding
anything else than a derivative database. It is just the ODbL working as
intended. We went through a lot of effort to get from a broken to a
functional licence that is appropriate for the subject matter and we
shouldn't be unhappy with the fact that our licence now works (even
though I like many others, would have preferred a more liberal licence).

We don't have any exact information on the position of the community,
but I would suspect that we have substantial support for strong share a
like provisions and that getting a 2/3 majority for relaxed terms would
be big challenge (I would like to remind everybody that we lost a number
of quite large mappers during the licence change process due to the ODbL
being a sell out to commercial interests and not SA enough).

The only way out that I could see to avoid "infection" of propriety
information is, along the lines of the suggestion by the LWG, to only
geocode address information and use the address information as a key to
look up such propriety information on the fly, the address DB itself
being subject to ODbL terms. This however wouldn't help in the reverse
geocoding use case (example: user clicks on a map to locate a bar and we
return an address, the dataset of such addresses and any associated
information would probably always be "tainted").

Simon