Reuters. 17 March 2003. Gazans mourn American protester killed by IDF.

GAZA -- Hundreds of Palestinians held a symbolic funeral Monday for U.S.
student Rachel Corrie, who was killed by an IDF bulldozer as she
protested the demolition of a house in southern Gaza's Rafah refugee
camp.

Holding a stretcher draped with an American flag, around 1,000
Palestinians marched through the refugee camp as a sign of mourning for
the 23-year-old American who was killed Sunday.

"We fly a U.S. flag today to show our support to all American peace
lovers, those like Rachel," said Palestinian farmer Hassan Abu Toa'ma,
24.

It was a rare change of pace for Rafah, where American flags have more
often been burned than held in reverence since the Intifada began in
September 2000.

In Gaza City, dozens of Palestinian and foreign activists held a vigil
for Corrie, holding banners saying, "Prime Minister Ariel Sharon is a
war criminal."

School children befriended by Corrie during her time in Rafah filed past
the American woman's body at the local morgue.

Friends said Corrie's parents were coming to Gaza to retrieve the body.
"They wanted that her body remains untouched until they come," said a
friend of Corrie.

ProletarianNews
http://www.utopia2000.org

In the contradiction lies the hope.