AFP. 17 March 2003. For South African human shields, the freedom fight
continues ... in Iraq.

JOHANNESBURG -- South Africans preparing to leave for Iraq as human
shields admit they are terrified, but say they have a duty to pick up
the freedom fight where the previous anti-apartheid generation left it.

Ridwana Jooma, 31, is one of the 45 or so volunteers, most of them
white-collar workers, who are set to take off on Tuesday.

Her body has been shaking uncontrollably from fear for the past few
nights, she told AFP.

"I keep imagining being in Iraq and seeing fighter planes and bombers
flying over us. I am so scared, but this is something I just have to
do."

"My uncle was a freedom fighter and was killed by the apartheid police.
In a way I feel a bit like him," she said, her voice and face
purposeful.

"I do not know where we will sleep. We are stepping into the complete
unknown, which is a reason why this is so frightening," said Jooma.

Jooma stressed that people needed to realise the initiative was not
based on any religion.

"The members of our group are Africans, Christians, Hindus and Muslims.
We are doing this for humanity and justice, doctrines preached by every
religion."

Chris Pitsi, 32, is a black Roman Catholic single mother of a
five-year-old boy. She is taking leave from her human resources
consultancy to be a human shield.

"Do you think I am not shit-scared of this? I am leaving my son whom I
love dearly and would do everything to protect," she said.

"My mother and father are wondering why I want to go when I am
responsible for a child. I told them I am doing this to make the world a
kinder place for him and for all other children."

Pitsi said she was too young to have been severely affected by
apartheid, but felt to some degree like one of South Africa's freedom
fighters.

"I suppose my going to Iraq is similar to the freedom fighters of old
struggling for justice. People must realise what happens in Iraq affects
all of us and if you want things to change you must get up and change
them yourself."

Reg Reddy is a senior advocate in his late 30s.

By being a human shield in Iraq, he says, he is extending his
involvement in the struggle against oppression by the apartheid
government.

"I marched and protested against apartheid and I suppose this shaped my
mentality. I view this as a struggle for justice against oppression."

Jooma, Pitsi and Reddy do not support Iraqi President Saddam Hussein but
are vehemently opposed to US President George W. Bush, whose intentions
they say are "obvious."

"Bush and his circle want access to Iraq's oil and he wants to settle a
score with Saddam from the first Gulf War for his father," (former
president George Bush), said Jooma.

Jooma said the equivalent of September 11 was happening every day in
Iraq.

"Iraqi babies and their mothers are dying in their thousands from
disease and malnutrition -- why has the world taken less note of this
than what happened on September 11?"

Reddy said predictions were that 100,000 to 500,000 people would be
killed in an invasion.

"I can not understand how any nation could justify killing all these
people to take out Saddam Hussein."

Pitsi said in the previous Gulf War the United States bombed targets
like water towers and power stations.

"This is why I am worried about safety, but if I can protect at least
one civilian target, I will have done enough."

ProletarianNews
http://www.utopia2000.org

In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht