On Jun 17, 9:04 pm, David Szent-Györgyi <das...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I gather that the installers for Leo 4.5 and Leo 4.6 are written in
> Python instead, and that they use the Python-standard tools.

See the code in @button make in dist.leo.

It's python, but does not use distutils.

> I gather
> that one of the goals of the switch to the Python-based installer was
> to install Leo as a package. I expect that it ought to be possible to
> use NSIS to drive that intelligently, too.

The advantage of the @button make approach is that it uses the .zip
file produced by bzr.  This eliminates the need for manifests, which
always seem to become out of date.  Ideally, an automatic NSIS
installer would use the bzr .ignore spec to include or exclude files.
I have no idea whether that is feasible.

> The modified installer also checks to make sure that it does not break
> in various ways.

I'll be happy to look at the installer script, but it's not clear that
we will ever go back to using nsis.  I would prefer to make @button
make work :-)