On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:19 AM, James A. Donald <jam...@echeque.com> wrote:

> Kent Tenney wrote:
>  > The science is beyond me, but I'll take the word of
>  > 100's of climate scientists from many countries over
>  > several decades over an economist who says what people
>  > want to hear.
>
> Genuine science is replicable.  And "replicable" does not
> mean two priests recite the same doctrine, it means they
> explain what they did in such a fashion that anyone else
> could do it also.

Exactly.  There has been an explosion in climate-oriented research in the
past decade or so.  None of it is friendly to global warming deniers,
despite the deniers claim that somehow it isn't real research.

If they refuse to explain, they are not scientists, but priests of Gaea.

You can't be published in journals like Nature or Science (or any other
reputable scientific journal)  if you can't explain you work.

This misrepresentation of what Science is all about is a bad faith attempt
to explain away facts that happen to contradict one's unscientific
opinions.  In contrast, the climate deniers cite each others non-scientific
works as "proof" that science is a grand conspiracy among scientists.

We see this most forcefully in the "debate" over evolution.  In fact, the
general facts *and* the theory are extremely well established.  There is no
disagreement over the essentials among scientists.  This is not at all a
conspiracy. There *are* a huge number of remaining questions to be asked.
These questions are what make evolutions the most *successful* scientific
theory of all time.

Imo, it is impossible to read any of the following and go away with the
conclusion that evolutionary theory is anything but plain fact:

Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District
http://www.pamd.uscourts.gov/kitzmiller/04cv2688-111.pdf

Why Evolution is True, By Jerry A. Coyne
http://www.amazon.com/Why-Evolution-True-Jerry-Coyne/dp/0670020532

The Structure of Evolutionary Theory, by Stephen Jay Gould
http://www.amazon.com/Structure-Evolutionary-Theory-Stephen-Gould/dp/0674006135

What we see in all these works is the dishonesty, pure and simple, of the
opponents of evolution.  In particular, the judge in the Kitzmiller case
accused some of the witnesses for the defense (intelligent design) of lying
under oath.  I highly recommend a thorough reading of the Kitzmiller
decision.