As the subject states, this is most likely an absolutely insane idea (for a variety of reasons), but it's a neat thought experiment at least.

I'm imagining a Leo-based operating system. Well, rather, a distro of some GNU/Linux setup which replaces the init scripts with leo outlines, containing scripts, run by a small python feeder script using leoBridge. Filesystem access would be with EKR's FUSE/LeoFS work from the wiki. The only GUI would be a minimal WM (perhaps OpexBox? IceWM? I'm imagining it could be the lightest-weight thing possible) which immediately opens an un-closable Leo instance.

To make this a decent experience, it would need a few things from Leo:

1) Way to embed an interactive shell in Leo (half working on one myself)
2) Way to embed a minimal web browser in Leo (seems simple enough, honestly, as Terry's richtext.py shows - things like bookmarks and history would be naturally expressed as trees) 3) A plugin to handle email in a Leonine fashion (I have some ideas for this brewing in my head as well) 4) A package manager, somehow integrated into Leo (@buttons could do the trick - no need to change core for that, really)

Basically it would be a boot-to-Leo system. A bit pointless in the long run as full OS users can already do everything they want, and more, but I can totally imagine this having a place on the newfangled ultrabooks and such that companies are pushing out. I know I'd use it on my laptop, because honestly I do all my work in Leo as is...

Thoughts?
-->Jake