On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM, gatesphere <gatesph...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm imagining a Leo-based operating system.

Interesting idea ;-)  I myself enjoy big thoughts, even if they are only
thought experiments.

There are several hurdles to be overcome, at least:

1. If you are going to replace the file system, there must be a way to
share data.  Leo doesn't make this task easy.  Yes, you can share external
files, but then you are back to a file system.  Without external files, the
only unit of sharing appears to be the .leo file, that is, the replacement
for the entire file system! I've thought about such things for many years.
I don't see a way around the problem.

2. I'm not sure whether you intend to use Qt for Leo's gui.  I suspect not,
since you are talking about using Leo's bridge.  In that case, you are
going to be doing a lot of extra work.

3. Reinventing tools such as web browsers and mail readers is the wrong
direction.  There is an infinite amount of *new* work to be done. Redoing
old work (the work of hundreds if not thousands of programmers) can not be
the way.

In short, I encourage you to keep thinking interesting thoughts until you
come up with an idea that can be done *quickly* (days or weeks, at most).
This was the place I was stuck initially (after the Aha that webs are
outlines in disguise) until I saw that I could use the MORE outliner as the
prototype for Leo.  It was then a matter of hours before I knew I was on
the right track.  @others was born in the first day of prototyping, and the
programming style I used that first day has remained remarkably unchanged
until the present.