On Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:45:23 AM UTC-6, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> I am shocked by the response to the Find/Replace tutorial.
>
> Leo must have find/replace commands that newbies can use...I'd like to
> target this for the next week or so.

Phase 1 of a grand reorganization and simplification of Leo's find code and
user interface is on the trunk at rev 6327.  I'll probably be working until
late tonight on making the UI completely functional.

This code may be a bit more buggy than usual. Use caution.  Otoh, it works
for me, and I'm using it intensely...

There has been a collapse in complexity in the Search menu.  Ctrl-F now is
bound (seemingly, at least) to the "Start Search" command.

After Ctrl-F, type the search string in the minibuffer, as explain in the
revised screencast, http://www.screencast.com/t/l8W9H5G8zB.

But now, you just type *Enter* to give the replacement text.  It's safe to
type Enter again. The second Enter starts the search. No more
Shift-Ctrl-R!  The price of this simplification is that you must type Enter
*twice* to start the search, but that soon becomes second nature.

So there are at least three simplifications present, or coming very soon:

- (done) A more informative and less intimidating Search menu.
- (done) A more intuitive minibuffer-based way to start searches or
replaces.
- (not yet) A completely mouse-based Search for those who want that.

And one more thing.  Leo no longer hides the Find pane when a search
commences.  Doh!

And one more other thing.  Leo will support an expert-find mode that hides
the buttons in the Find tab, but the newbie mode will be the default.

Edward

P.S.  Alas, the Search menu creates an implicit binding for Alt-S, which is
presently bound to yet isearch forward.

I am wondering how to simplify access to the "get-me-to-a-character-quick"
commands.  Any ideas?

EKR