When I first tried to use find by entering Ctrl-F, I was frustrated that I
couldn't enter anything into the Find field. Only after studying the
dcoumentation and watching the screencast I was able to perfom a search.
The minibuffer detracts the focus from the Find tab. I have to jump between
two different places on the screen to change settings.

Why use the minibuffer at all? When Ctrl-F opens the Find tab the fields
are there right on this tab. As a user I expect that can enter my search
term in the Find field and my replacement term in the Change field. Just
put in a 'Start Search' button and this functionality behaves like expected.

One more thing: Instead of "For help: <alt-x>...." there should be a button
that triggers that action.

You don't have to redo the Find/Replace screencast if this dialog works
like people are used to from many other products.