On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM, 'Terry Brown' via leo-editor
<leo-editor@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> readme.txt and howto.txt -> README.txt and HOWTO.txt would move them
> helpfully to the start of the directory listing.

Ha.  So that's why the weird capitalization...

> The code should probably search ~/.leo/plugins/importers and
> ~/.leo/plugins/writers as well, if it doesn't already.

Good idea!

> leo/plugins/importers/basecanner.py isn't in the repo. at the moment,
> which makes it hard to evaluate ;-) but I will anyway :-)

It is now.  It used to be in leoImport.py.

> It looks like it's defining a set of variables (ivars) which define how
> to import something.

These vars are really just hacks that allow subclasses to override
various behaviors without having to override large, complex methods.

> In addition to that, I think there should be an alternative level in the API
> where the signature is something like:

I'm not really following you here.

> Two languages which seem like they'd be easier to handle this way are
> LaTeX and ctext. [snip]

You are welcome to override BaseScanner.scan (or any of its helpers)
if you like ;-)  That way you have complete control over the scanning
process.

However, the real "excitement" comes in the code generation phase.
This code creates the Leo outline.  It's complex because it must be
very careful about indentation and whitespace.

The BaseScanner class also has way-too-complex checking code.

You could override any part of scanning or code generation or checking
if you think there is an easier way.  If you find such a way, please
let me know.  Heh, heh.

> Anyway, it think the new @auto-??? importer/writer selection approach
> is going to be great for letting Leo quickly adapt to specific use
> cases, perhaps leading to situations where people will be saying "the
> easiest way to edit these ??? files is to install Leo and use its
> @auto-??? mode".

I'm glad you think so.